Jojo Siwa has quit Will Smith-backed film, Bounce (Picture: Reuters /Backgrid)
The 18-year-old singer and actress has stepped away from the film, which was set to be brought to the screen by the actor’s production company, Overbrook Entertainment and Paramount Pictures.
According to Variety, the teen star has distanced herself from the film, which is based on the young adult book to Megan Shull.
However, the publication said this happened ‘months ago’ and is not a result of the recent controversial Oscar drama in which Will, 53, slapped comedian Chris Rock on stage for making a joke about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith’s shaved head.
‘That project got put on hold, and then went away,’ JoJo told Variety at the 2022 GLAAD Media Awards last weekend. ‘It [Bounce] wasn’t the one.’
She also seemingly touched on the Academy Awards debacle, adding: ‘I normally stay out of all politics, it’s not my gig. But, I will say that being kind to one another is very important. I think that can go both ways, kindness.’
Seemingly referring to the Will Smith Oscar debacle, dancer Jojo (pictured) appealed for people to be ‘kind to one another'(Picture: Getty Images)
The source added that Paramount Pictures has removed the project from its development slate altogether. However, Variety notes that the project fell apart months ago.
It’s also been recently announced that another one of Will‘s upcoming projects has been put on ice.
The star, who collected the best actor at the 2022 Oscars for his role in sports drama King Richard shortly after his attack on comedian Chris – who was pictured looking downcast on an outing recently – had been set to star in the upcoming Netflix film, Fast and Loose.
But according to The Hollywood Reporter: ‘Soon after Smith’s attack on Chris Rock on the Oscars stage, Netflix quietly moved the project to the back burner.’
Will Smith has faced industry fallout since slapping Chris Rock on stage during the 94th Academy Awards on March 27 (Picture: REUTERS)
Fast and Loose was to ‘tell the story of a crime boss who loses his memory after an attack.
Piecing together clues, he discovers that he has led a double identity as a wealthy kingpin and a broke CIA agent.’
They added that Will‘s upcoming Bad Boys 4 was also in active development, ‘but will now pause. A few other projects in pre-production are likely to do the same.’
Following the slap that was heard around the world, the star has resigned from the Academy and released a statement apologising for his actions.
Will, with wife Jada Pinkett Smith at the 2022 Vanity Fair Oscar Party, has seen his upcoming Netflix show halted along with Bad Boys 4 (Picture: Getty Images)
Will said in a statement: ‘My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable.
‘The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy…
More: The Oscars 2022
‘I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.’
The Academy has also still vowed to discipline the actor and has moved forward the hearing to discuss his behaviour at the ceremony by 10 days.
The meeting is now set to take place on Friday, April 8, moved forward from April 18.
The day after the debacle, the Fresh Prince star also issued a formal apology to Chris over social media, writing that ‘I was out of line and I was wrong.’